New To My Blog? Read This Post Called "Epiphany" First!

Epiphany

Friday, May 4, 2018

Adjusting

Sak pase!

I'm on the island. I don't have much time because I have to smile for them to make my ID badge and i have to go register for classes after.  

I arrived on the island and a bunch of AUC representatives were waiting for us by the exit after Customs/Immigration. They were so sweet and such a relief. There were only around 5 AUC students on that flight, everyone else made it to the Island the days prior. The AUC representatives took some of our luggage from us and rolled them for us and placed them on a flatbed truck. We were then directed to get on the shuttle/van to our campus. During the ride, HAITIAN music was playing on the radio, I was so excited because just minutes before I was boohoo crying about being away from home and comfort. The music gave me comfort, even if it was for only a few minutes. We got to campus and I asked the nice driver if he was Haitian and he confirmed it. 

I'm living on campus in a one bedroom apartment and I must say I LOVE IT. I love the apartment and I love the autonomy.

My flight was delayed yesterday so I missed the last shuttle that the school provided to take us grocery shopping. I HAD NO GROCERIES. Meaning no food. Some of the other AUC students that I met on the flight decided that we should go to this BBQ place walking distance to the school to eat. How was it you ask? Well, let's just say that I've been living on the toilet since I got back to my apartment last night :( I guess my body will have to get used to the food and water here.

I am still waiting to receive the bins of stuff I shipped here last week. I'm not sure where to go get them honestly. I have my tea kettle, toilet paper, my pillows and everything in those bins. I honestly should have come to the Island way before yesterday to get settled. I don't have any time for myself really. The school has a bunch of stuff planned for us this weekend and it's all mandatory. 

The Island is still trying to get back on it's feet since the hurricane. So, a lot of businesses are closed and there is still a lot of construction going on. However, the water here is so beautiful and the locals have been really sweet to me since I arrived. I know it's going to take me some time to get used to this change but after i stop being a big baby, I know I will love this place. Sorry for any typos, I'm in rush. Well, I must go now.


TTYL!

No comments:

Post a Comment