New To My Blog? Read This Post Called "Epiphany" First!

Epiphany

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Haitian Flag Day

Sak Pase!

I realize that it's already midnight, which means it's not May 18th anymore. However, I still can't let the day go bY without acknowledging that May 18 was Haitian Flag Day. Haitians (most of us) are so prideful of our flag so this day means a lot to us. We take great pride in this day so if you have Haitian friends around you or on your social media feeds you'll see that we went craaaazy. Since 1803, Jean-Jacques Dessalines tore up the French flag and had his God-daughter make a new flag. Her name was Catherine Flon. The flag got modified many times before it became what it looks like today but the point is that on May 18, 1803, Ms. Flon stitched up our first independent nation flag and that's something to celebrate. It's important to note however, that Haitian flag day is not the day when we officially declared our independence. That day was on January 1st, 1804. On THAT day we eat lots and lots of soup joumou. When that time comes, I will talk more about it :) Below is a picture of the Haitian Flag so you can see how beautiful it looks <3 A wonderful Haitian lady on the Island gifted me with a Haitian flag to show out throughout the day so I decided to take some pics with it right before anatomy lab. Enjoy!

Today was also the first Black Medical Student Association (BMSA) meeting of the semester. I had a blast and ate wonderful free food! I hope to run for an e-board position maybe next semester.

I have yet another exam coming up so I will be studying for that all weekend minus the little break I will take tomorrow evening to attend the BMSA game night. Today after the BMSA meeting ended, the plan was to sleep from 7:30p to around 10 or so pm. I didn't set an alarm (I never learn) and didn't wake up until around 11:30pm. So i'm a little behind and might have to stay up until 3:30-4am to finish what I planned on finishing for the night. I feel rested though, haha.



TTYL!

No comments:

Post a Comment